Whether you like it or not, your pet chews instinctively. Unfortunately, they often struggle to choose the safest objects to chew. There are several reasons why something might be dangerous for your dog to chew on: they might be too hard for dog teeth, they might splinter in the neck, or they might present a choking risk.

We examined the top-selling chew toys for dogs and identified some that can damage them and cost you a lot of money in vet bills.

Note: Before giving your dog a new toy or bone that you’re unsure of, always check your veterinarian. For your particular dog, they can offer advice. And don’t feel bad if you’ve already given them anything on this list; we’re here to assist you in making the greatest choices going forward.


The products listed below might appear innocent at first, but they could end up hurting your dog.


An ice cube

When it’s hot outside, lots of owners offer their dogs ice cubes to chew on. Large cubes can unfortunately be a choking hazard for dogs, especially if your friend has compromised or missing teeth and is unable to crush them before swallowing.


Too-hard cubes may break teeth, and prolonged chewing on any hard object may erode the enamel. If you want to feed your dog ice cubes when the temperature starts to rise to battle this problem, concentrate on little cubes or shaved ice. Your wallet (and dog) will be grateful.


There will be disagreement about this one. Some animal lovers advocate bones wholeheartedly, saying they’re a secure outlet for a dog’s instinctive gnawing urge. That is only true, according to other authorities, provided you ignore the following details:


  • Bones can still break teeth whether they are cooked or not.
  • Constipation can be brought on by bone particles that travel through the small intestine and build up in the colon.
  • A bone fragment that breaks off can penetrate the throat or esophagus when it becomes lodged in the esophagus. After becoming lodged, the region may enlarge, making breathing challenging.


We are aware that this may come off as some sort of scare tactic. Veterinarians do concur, however, that many of the dogs they treat for emergency have injuries from seemingly harmless bones.




Another pet parent favorite, Rawhide, may unluckily not be suitable for your closest companion. They can become impaled in a dog’s stomach, intestines, or throat and result in choking or digestive obstruction.


Additionally, rawhide can be difficult to digest, making it especially important to avoid giving it to dogs that have a history of pancreatitis or digestive problems.


Like bones and other hard chew toys, cow hooves run the risk of shattering or breaking your dog’s teeth, which could lead to a puncture hole in their mouth or gastrointestinal tract.


Consider this: for an animal to be able to traverse even the most difficult trekking terrain, its hooves must be strong and hard enough. Therefore, they are simply too tough for dog teeth, which are prone to chipping. We advise you to pass on this treat.



Even though it may seem apparent, if you’re out trekking in a particularly rough region, keep an eye on your dog. Because they think the pebbles are edible, dogs may attempt to ingest boulders that contain food particles on them. Rocks can be a serious choking risk for your dog and cause an intestinal blockage that needs to be surgically treated.


Your dog may have a disease called Pica if they attempt to excessively eat rocks. Pets with this condition develop cravings for non-food objects like stones, dirt, or woodchips. More often than pet owners may imagine, actually! 


If you think your dog could be afflicted, we advise going to the vet right away to discuss treatment options before your pet becomes ill or needs to go to the emergency room.


The romance between dogs and sticks has been celebrated throughout history. Sadly, the truth is that while playing, sticks might endanger your cherished pet if not carefully monitored. If sticks splinter, they can pierce a dog’s eyes, throat, or tummy. And before you can act, any object with the potential to splinter can turn into a choking threat.


Never use a stick for fetch or as a chew toy; instead, choose pet-safe toys to ensure your dog’s safety.

Dog chews made with yak

Unfortunately, Yak cheese snacks, a favorite among many dog owners, can be excessively hard for normal chewing and can result in fractured teeth. Sadly, it fails the “fingernail test,” which the vet advises.


If you’re still interested in Yak chews, it might be better to look for the option that allows you to warm the chews in the microwave.


If your dog is unwilling to give up the Yak, then watch them closely as they chew, and never leave them alone.

Tennis Balls

Many active pet parents may be devastated by this entry. The truth is that tennis balls include colours and chemicals that could be harmful to your dog’s health. Additionally, if your dog has destructive jaws and is a powerful chewer, they may be easily broken into pieces and swallowed, posing a choking risk and perhaps causing intestinal blockages.


Even the lime green fuzz can be harmful and, if swallowed, can cause blockages and other digestive problems. Tennis balls should only be used for retrieve games, according to the AKC, and should never be left unattended near your dog.

Plastic water bottle

Before their parents throw the bottles in the recycling, some dogs like to chew on plastic water bottles. If you let your dog drink a few Evian bottles, be aware that they could swallow the lid if it came off. 


This is a choking risk, especially for pups and smaller dogs. They might also rip off sharp bits of plastic and try to consume them, which could result in intestinal blockage and internal punctures.

Hard things

Your dog might find a lot of hard objects and chew on them, which could cause major issues. It’s best to remove the object if you see your dog biting on something particularly tough in order to keep your pet safe.


As previously indicated, the easiest approach to determine whether a treat or toy is too hard for your dog is to use the fingernail test, which involves pressing a nail into the object in question and observing whether it leaves an indent. Grats if it indents! Probably safe for dog teeth is that item.

What can my dog safely chew, then?

  • Enduring and robust
  • A variety of sizes are available to fit each dog
  • When swallowed, completely and fast digested
  • Not more durable than tooth enamel
  • Has no hazardous compounds
  • Dog-friendly (nice flavor, aroma, and texture)
  • Not easily broken into sharp parts


Sadly, very few dog chews or toys exactly fit into each of these categories. Some, nonetheless, are superior than others.


Call your veterinarian as soon as possible if your dog has ingested anything they were chewing or has been injured by something they were chewing. Your veterinarian will enquire about the health and behavior of your dog and provide you advice on the best course of action. One of the most frequent and expensive causes for a pet hospital visit is intestinal problems and obstructions.