Interested in finding out how to renew your LTO driver’s license in 2022? Here is an updated tutorial for the LTO’s in-person or online driver’s license renewal procedures that is specifically for you.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) is now issuing ten (10) year driver’s licenses in accordance with Republic Act (RA) No. 10930, which revised the Land Transportation and Traffic Code.
The LTO is required to conduct examinations of applicants for new driver’s licenses, as well as those renewing expired licenses and issuing a ten-year driver’s license, according to Section 3 of RA 10930.
Who can acquire a ten-year license?
To be eligible for a driver’s license with a 10-year validity period, you must have maintained a perfect driving record for the whole time that your current license was in effect. That implies that there won’t be any fines or penalties.
A license with a five-year validity duration can only be obtained by drivers who have accrued at least one demerit point.
Additionally, in order to receive a 10-year valid license, you must successfully complete the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) seminar at any Driver’s Education Center, LTO-accredited driving school, or the LTO’s Land Transportation Management System (LTMS).
Conditions for Renewing a Driver’s License
- Completed application for a license to drive (ADL)
- Original license to drive (Non-Professional or Professional).
- Any government-issued ID, both the original and a copy, must have the applicant’s signature and a photo.
- If you are employed, provide your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
- health examination report
- For those who have had their licenses expire for more than two years: Certificates attesting to your success on the written and practical driving tests.
- A Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) certificate attesting to your completion of the pertinent validation exam needed by the LTO or any LTO-accredited driving school or training center and your attendance for the mandatory number of seminar hours.
Driver’s licenses and student permits that expire in July are extended by the LTO
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) is extending more things this month than just the registration validity of a few motor vehicles.
All driver’s licenses, student permits, conductor’s licenses, and even medical certificates with expiration dates in July 2022 will now be valid until August 31, 2022, the department has stated, once more for another month. That’s at least two full months, so hopefully, you guys will have more than enough time to arrange your renewals.
How much does it cost to renew an LTO driver’s license?
- License Fee: 589 pesos (Pro & Non-Pro)
- 75 pesos – Penalty Fee, valid from now till tomorrow.
- 150 pesos: Expiration of the penalty fee for offenses lasting between one and two years.
- Penalty Fee for more than two (2) years lapsed, 225 pesos (re-exam)
- Computer Fee: 68 pesos
- The application fee is 100 pesos (for more than two years expired)
- Additional Computer Fee: 67.63 pesos (for more than two years expired)
A Dormant License costs money (Pro & Non-Pro)
A driver’s license turns dormant if it hasn’t been renewed in more than two years.
- Cost of application: 100 pesos
- Fee for the Computer: is 67.63 pesos
- Fee for a license: is 585 pesos
- Punishment: 225 pesos
- 67.63 pesos in additional computer fees
LTO Student Driver’s Permit Renewal Fees
- The application fee is 100 pesos.
- License Renewal Fee: 150 pesos
- Penalty Fee for one (1) day to one (1) year lapsed, 50 pesos
- 100 pesos: Expiration of the penalty fee for offenses lasting between one and two years.
- Penalty Fee for more than two (2) years expired, 150 pesos
After completing the online renewal process and paying the necessary costs, you can pick up your brand-new driver’s license at any of the 24 LTO offices located across the nation. Additionally, a courier service that will soon be available will do away totally with face-to-face interactions.
LTO Driver’s License Renewal Procedure (WALK-IN)
Here is how to renew your LTO driver’s license in person if you prefer to fill out a walk-in application when the online portal is unavailable or being maintained:
- Prior to attending the LTO office, present a CDE Certificate and bring an LTO Client ID. Your registration for the LTMS Public Portal is validated by the LTO Client ID.
- Visit the local LTO office or licensed facility. For quicker transactions, pick LTO renewal offices in less congested malls.
- Provide staff with any necessary documentation.
- The license information will be given to you so that you can verify whether all of the information is still accurate or whether any changes need to be made. You can go to the subsequent phase if no adjustments are necessary.
- Proceed to the encoding area for your pictures, biometrics, and digital signature after paying the cashier.
- To obtain your expired card and Pro/Non-Pro Driver’s License Card, type your name and sign the Release Form.
An Instructional Guide on How to Renew Your LTO Driver’s License Online
Thanks to the new LTO Land Transportation Management System, it is now possible to renew a driver’s license online (LTMS).
The LTMS, which was introduced in May 2013 and offers Filipinos an online platform to renew their expired licenses. You can access the LTMS at any time and make use of its services whether you’re using a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other digital devices. There is no need to physically complete an application form when you visit the LTO office on the day of your appointment once you have submitted your license renewal application online via LTMS.
However, you must first register for an LTMS account in order to renew your driver’s license online. You can learn how to sign up for LTMS and renew your driver’s license using the step-by-step instructions provided below.
- Visit the Land Transportation Management System or LTO web portal by clicking here.
- Select “Register Now” from the menu.
- Read the Terms of Agreement, then agree to them. Click the Yes, I Accept box at the bottom of the page as you go down. Click the blue Next button after entering the security code in the space given.
- The Individual option should be chosen.
- Give specifics about your current license. You will be prompted by the system to indicate if you hold a Philippine driver’s license or conductor’s license after choosing Enroll as an Individual in the previous stage. The information on your conductor’s or driver’s license, including the license number, expiration date, and Official Receipt number, must be entered after you click Yes. Then press the Next button.
- Choose your nationality. You must give the information on your Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) if you are a non-Filipino citizen. If not, simply press the Next button.
- Enter your full name, birth date, gender, and mother’s maiden name as well as other necessary personal data. After finishing, click the Next button.
- Enter your phone number and the email address at which you want to receive the verification message. Click the Create Account button when you’re finished. Be aware that it could take up to 24 hours for you to get the message of verification via your account email address.
- To continue the registration process, click the link in the verification email you received.
- You must use the same password each time you use the LTMS, so create one. To do this, choose Set Password to Login, then finish the registration process.
Where to take the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE)?
You can receive a Comprehensive Driver’s Education from any LTO Driver’s Education Center or LTO-accredited driving school.
How Can I Get My Comprehensive Driver Education (CDE) Certificate?
1. Complete the CDE seminar for comprehensive driver education.
There are two ways to access the CDE: offline and online.
Visit an LTO Driver’s Education Center or an LTO-accredited driving school to take the CDE course offline. You’ll need to sit through a five-hour visual presentation.
The LTO online portal or the LTMS can both be used to finish the CDE course online. Without creating an account, you can access the course materials like the readings and video lectures. You should definitely make one, though, as you cannot take the validating online exam without it.
2. The CDE learning materials include the following subjects:
- Drive Safely
- Rules of road traffic
- Unique Laws (e.g., Traffic and Administrative Rules, Violations, Fines, and Penalties with Demerit Points)
- Tricycle, Motorcycle (MC), and Special Laws (TC)
- Additional Rules (e.g., Passengers and Cargoes, Common Violations and Tips)
- Basic Information
3. Complete the CDE Validating Exam
You can take the CDE validating exam online through the LTMS or in person at the LTO Driver’s Education Center in a few offices.
Whether you’re renewing a professional or non-professional driver’s license, you must receive at least 13 accurate answers out of 25 questions (50 percent rating) to pass the test. The majority of the exam’s questions are multiple-choice ones. In addition, there is no time limit on the exam, so if you don’t pass, you can take it again immediately away.
Advice and Caution
- You don’t require a fixer’s services. Without anyone’s assistance, you can complete the renewal process for your license. You can prevent incurring additional money and difficulties due to bogus permits by telling fixers no.
- To avoid long lineups, visit the local LTO office early in the morning. It is essential to arrive at least 30 to 60 minutes prior to the LTO offices’ regular opening times of 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM, respectively, for LTO Centers located inside malls.
- For a more convenient and quick renewal process, go to LTO Centers inside malls rather than LTO Offices. Because malls are air-conditioned, it is more comfortable to apply for renewal there than at LTO Offices, where the majority of the air conditioners are broken. It has also been demonstrated that license renewals are handled around three hours more quickly in malls than at LTO offices.
- Be careful to finish your medical certificate beforehand to expedite the renewal procedure and save a ton of time. One day prior to your purchase, you can do it. Make certain that it is sent electronically. Additionally, before starting the online renewal procedure if you plan to complete your renewal using the LTO Online Portal or LTMS, you will be prompted for your Medical Certificate Number. Having your medical certificate ready in advance is therefore advised.
- You can give a call and find out if your selected office will be open on the day of your transaction before going to the nearby LTO Office or Center.
- Make that all of your prior traffic infractions have been resolved. At least a few days or weeks before submitting an application for license renewal, pay all the penalty fees. Update: To lower the number of traffic violators in the nation, the LTO now employs a demerit point system. According to the traffic infraction(s) they have committed, drivers will receive a certain number of demerit points under the new system. The drivers’ licenses won’t be renewed until the fines have been paid or the offending drivers have completed the necessary reorientation training. For additional information on demerit points, click here.
- Go to the main or regional LTO office to renew your driver’s license if you have a violation or violations. Driver’s licenses that have broken traffic laws cannot be renewed at satellite offices.
- It’s preferable to renew your license beforehand if at all possible. Additionally, you’ll avoid having to pay any fines if you do this.
- If at all possible, complete the application form beforehand so you may go on to the next stage of the renewal procedure. Even though it’s not on the list of requirements, you still need to present your license that has expired and the original receipt.
- Watch out for phony driver’s licenses. Using the flashlight on your phone is one of the simplest ways to confirm their authenticity14. Just shine the light from behind the license. Yellow light indicates that something is phony if it is shining through. The driver’s license is genuine, nevertheless, if it appears like the light coming through is violet. The raised writing, the hologram, and the silver security strip on the back of an authentic driver’s license are additional security elements.
Although the LTO’s reforms for drivers were daunting, their intended course is one of long-term advancement. The LTO is taking these actions to ensure that we are currently adhering to the safety procedures for this ongoing COVID-19 epidemic.
Rate these changes and updates based on your preferences.
Read also: Philippine Driver’s License