Every year, thousands of house fires occur in the Philippines; some are minor, resulting in no injuries or the need to call the fire department, but others are more catastrophic, even fatal. The kitchen is thought to be the source of 60% of all house fires. However, there is a risk of fire virtually everywhere in the house

It’s easy to believe that something will never happen to you. Accidents usually do not give notice of their impending approach, and there is no warning. It can, however, happen to anyone if a few simple fire safety precautions are not taken.

Some fire hazards are well-known, while others may surprise you. We’ll look at the most common causes of fire in the home and the majority of them are preventable, so the fire shouldn’t have happened in the first place.



A serious kitchen fire can start in a matter of seconds. Oil that is hot and spattering is exceedingly dangerous and can quickly spiral out of control. The most prevalent explanation is distraction and leaving cooking unattended.


Electrical wiring that is Defective

Faulty electrical wiring is another common cause of fire. How can you tell whether your home’s wiring needs to be repaired? Keep an eye out for the following red flags:

  • When you use another appliance, the lights fade or flicker.
  • To plug in another device or appliance, you must first unplug one.
  • You have to use an excessive number of extension cords.
  • Frequently, your fuses blow or your circuit breakers trip.

Hire a professional electrician to inspect your electrical systems on a regular basis to protect your family. Solicit his assistance in repairing or replacing frayed or damaged wiring and fixtures.


Electrical equipment that is Defective

Your electrical appliances and equipment, in addition to your wiring, may be placing your home at risk. These are the items you should never allow in your home to ensure that your family’s safety is never jeopardized:

Electrical cords/plugs that are frayed or loose
Plugs clogging outlets or electrical cords
Under rugs or heavy furniture, electrical cables can be found.
Electrical tasks that you can do yourself
Even while not in use, appliances and gadgets that are plugged in


Stoves and ovens that are left unattended

Almost every homeowner has unintentionally left the stove or oven on. While we may believe that going to another room for a minute or two is innocuous, it can lead to accidents.

Keep combustibles like oven mitts, paper towels, and dish rags away from heat sources to avoid kitchen fires. You should also pay special attention to how you prepare your meals.


Candles that have been left unattended

Candles may provide a warm, pleasant, and romantic atmosphere in the home, but they can also spark fires!

Keep your candles on a solid holder on a flat surface for a safe environment. Always keep them out of reach of youngsters and dogs, and blow them out before leaving the room.


Children have fun with fire

On that point, make sure your matches, lighters, and torches are out of reach of your youngsters. Children who are bored and curious may accidently set items on fire.


Flammable liquids

Did you know that if you store fuels, solvents, cleaning agents, thinners, adhesives, paints, and other liquids improperly, they might ignite or explode? Always keep flammable substances in authorized containers outside your home, in a cool, well-ventilated place.


Careless smoking

If someone in your home smokes, make sure to use ashtrays that are broad and deep. Clean the ashtrays on a regular basis and keep them away from combustible materials.

Check for cigarette embers or butts, which can catch fire and cause furniture to catch fire. You might also make smoking illegal in the bedroom as an extra precaution.



If lamp shades and light fittings are placed too close to light globes, they might generate heat. To be sure, look around the house. Lamp bases that are readily knocked over can become a hazard, and should be removed if this is the case. Make sure downlights aren’t exposed to wood paneling or ceiling timbers.


Christmas Tree Decorations

Every year, a fire caused by malfunctioning tree lights ruins someone’s Christmas all around the country. Because the light connections and wiring are delicate and easily damaged, be cautious while storing them after use, and make sure the wires are not near a heat source when in use. Also, candles should not be placed near a Christmas tree.


Basic fire prevention and safety measures include:

  • Always disconnect any electronics or appliances that are not in use.
  • Keep fire extinguishers in your home, particularly in the kitchen.
  • When you’re broiling, cooking, or grilling meals, stay in the kitchen.
  • Do not smoke inside your home. In no case should you smoke in bed.
  • All damaged or worn appliance wires should be replaced right away.
  • Cords should never be run beneath furniture or rugs.
  • Keep space heaters away from flammable materials.
  • Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors should be installed and maintained throughout your home.
  • Before using a fireplace or a wood stove, get them inspected every year.
  • Never keep candles burning in a room that isn’t occupied.



Thousands of individuals are killed or seriously injured every year as a result of fire-related dangers. Many people feel they will never be involved in a fire.

That isn’t correct. A fire can strike at any time and in any place. When a fire breaks out, it can result in the loss of life as well as precious items if it is not managed properly. When dealing with a fire, it’s critical to stay attentive at all times and take precautions to avoid further damage.

Assessing the potential dangers that could result in a fire hazard and taking proper steps to prevent and reduce the damage caused by a fire are all part of fire safety awareness.